Egremont Rugby Union advance into next round

Egremont continued their improved run of home form with a hard fought victory over Silloth in the Cumbria League Cup game at Bleach Green on Saturday November 25.

Egremont team photograph – photo Jeffery Dixon

Egremont started the game in determined fashion, taking the ball into the Silloth half inspired by some driving runs from the forwards well led by James Temple, Liam Martin and Liam Kirkbride.

The pressure told and when Silloth were penalised Brad Jackson kicked the goal to put Egremont in front.
Further pressure resulted in more penalties for Egremont which they decided to kick for touch rather than attempt on goal.
Silloth made Egremont pay for missing their chances for further scores when they themselves scored a try on their first foray into the Egremont half after a strong run by their left winger.
Shortly after Egremont were caught napping when Silloth took a quick throw in at a line-out in their own half and the left winger scored his second try when he ran in from fifty metres to increase their lead.

Things looked bleak for Egremont when they had an influential player yellow carded for a deliberate knock-on but this spurred Egremont into action and when Matt Bewsher was tackled just short after a determined run, David Hargreaves was on hand to pick up and dive over for the first Egremont try.
Shortly after, a second Egremont try was instigated by quick thinking from scrum half Jack Thomson when he broke from a ruck to find Matt Bewsher in support who then fed Callum Aitken who then set of on a fine run from his own half to score a try which was converted by Brad Jackson to regain the lead momentarily for Egremont.
Not for long, as Egremont dropped the restart from the kick-off and Silloth pressured Egremont with a series of pick and drives resulting in a try which Stoddart converted to give Silloth the lead by 15 – 17 at half-time.

The topsy-turvey game continued in the second half when Egremont regained the lead with a well deserved try for Liam Martin who forced his way over the try line through several defenders.

Again Egremont failed to secure the ball from the kick off and were punished when Silloth used the possession to run in for a converted try to take back the lead again and shortly after they increased the lead further when they fielded a loose Egremont kick to score a fine opportunist try which was converted to make the score thirty one points to twenty in their favour.

Egremont were not to be beaten however and they closed the gap when Karl Connor drove over from a tap penalty close to the Silloth to score a try which Jackson converted to cut the deficit to four points.
The game drew to a close with Egremont on top after a Silloth player was sent to the bin and James Temple capped a fine game with a determined run from a tapped penalty to score a try which Jackson again converted, before a Jackson penalty ended the game.

Egremont were the victors 37 – 31 to advance into the next round.