Hornets claim victory in fierce derby battle

Robert Haile reports on the derby clash between Egremont and Wath Brow Hornets.

_DSC9857 - Copy

THE derby clash between Egremont Rangers and Wath Brow Hornets ended in an 18 – 34 defeat for the Rangers.
As a bumper crowd gathered at the Gillfoot Ground all were expecting a home win as kick off arrived. The sun was still shining and the Hornets had to deal with it first as Rangers kicked off. This provided no difficulty for the fired up Hornets who forced the first of several mistakes out of Rangers. This time the Rangers defence held firm and denied the Hornets. The away team continued their quick pace and after gaining field position through a Rangers knock-on, the Hornets used this to send Peter Caddy over after 5 minutes played. Cole Walker-Taylor added the conversion.
Rangers were tackling well and penning the Hornets back with them approaching the end of the set of 6 the Hornets sent a kick up into the Rangers half which released the pressure and gave them field position as it was fumbled by Rangers. This led to Scott Pink crossing over and Walker-Taylor adding the extras to make it 0 – 12 after 18 minutes. Things got worse for Rangers as Walker-Taylor showed he knows the way over as he got the Hornets third try of the match. This time he missed the conversion making it 0 – 16.
The stunned Rangers fans could only watch as the team’s frustration began to show as they gave away two penalties which Hornets Walker-Taylor kicked to increase the score to 0 – 20. The Hornets fans were in a party mood now and let the Rangers fans know but it was the home team who celebrated next as Peter Bewsher sprinted down the field to score under the posts after Hornets Fran King’s kick had been charged down. Ross Brookes added to the score with the conversion making it 6 – 20. The final act in the first half saw Rangers give away another penalty and Walker-Taylor converted making it 6 – 22 at half time.
Rangers almost got off to the worst start as the Hornets, playing now without pressure, threw the ball about and were almost over but for the defensive skill of the Rangers. On 44 minutes the Hornets were over after another Rangers mistake. Peter Caddy claimed his second try of the game and Walker-Taylor racked up another two points to take the score to 6 – 28. The chance of Rangers mounting a comeback was slipping away as more ill-discipline gave Walker-Taylor and the Hornets two more points as he converted a penalty.
Rangers had the best of the last half hour as Matthew Henson crossed and Brookes add the conversion to pull the score back to 12 – 30.
The Hornets were not to be out done and Scott Pink add his second and Hornets fifth try of the game. Walker-Taylor missed the conversion leaving the score 12 – 34. The Hornets looked to rub salt into the Rangers wounded pride as they set up a drop goal attempt which was scuffed under the posts.
Peter Bewsher add his second of the game on 75 minutes after being in the centre of a scuffle between the teams. Brookes add the final two points of the game to bring the score to 18 – 34.
Wath Brow Hornets finished the game with the bragging rights but Rangers will be looking to take them back when they meet again on the 22nd August.