National Cup match Success for Egremont

Egremont welcomed previously unbeaten Tarleton of the Lancashire League to Bleach Green in the first round of the RFU National Knockout Cup on Saturday October 15.

The 2016 - 2017 Egremont Rugby Union first team - photos by Jeffrey Dixon

The 2016 – 2017 Egremont Rugby Union first team – photos by Jeffrey Dixon


The visitors arrived full of confidence, having had an excellent start to their year, and that confidence seemed to be fully justified as they muscled over for an early try and a 5-0 lead.

Egremont recovered quickly to produce some of their most effective rugby in a thus far inconsistent season and enjoyed a lengthy period of attacking play in the Tarleton half.

The home teams enterprise was duly rewarded when gifted centre Kieran Halcrow launched an inch-perfect cross kick for wing Albert McKay to gather at pace and cross in the left corner and bring the scores level.

Thereafter defences dominated, despite plenty of ambition and attacking intent from both sides, and another sizeable home crowd was kept enthralled by the abundance of on-field action.

As Egremont centre Matthew Bewsher added two penalty kicks, both matched by Tarleton during the match to leave the score at 11-11 as the clock ran down.

Just when a draw seemed inevitable, Egremont gained an unshakeable foothold deep in the visitors’ 22 and launched a furious series of close range drives in an attempt to clinch the winning score.

They were unable to breach the increasingly desperate Tarleton defence and when the away team turned over Egremont’s possession underneath the posts, resulting in one last scrum, it seemed as though the home team’s chance of victory had gone.

Incredibly, the Egremont forwards summoned up the strength to take the ball back in the scrum allowing Matthew Bewsher to slot the winning drop goal with the last kick of the game to win 14-11.

This leaves Egremont with an away trip Cheshire side Dukinfield in the next round of the competition on December 5.