Rugby Union double header for Egremont teams

THERE was a terrific atmosphere at Bleach Green on Saturday October 8, both on and off the pitch.

The 2016 - 2017 Egremont Rugby Union first team - photo by Jeffrey Dixon

The 2016 – 2017 Egremont Rugby Union first team – photo by Jeffrey Dixon


With Egremont Rugby Union’s second playing at 1.00 pm, the first team at 3.00 pm, a life-members’ presentation lunch, and a highly successful race night rounding off an action-packed day.

However, whilst all went well off the field, the matches did not go to script as both teams lost in a pair of very entertaining encounters.

The first team just did not get going in the early exchanges against a forward-dominant Cockermouth and Egremont found themselves 0-12 down having conceded two quick tries.

With twenty minutes gone the home side finally responded with a superb score of their own after a sweeping backs move, which was finished off by teenage scrum half Jack Thompson.

Cockermouth, however, were in no mood to ease off and added a further two tries to extend their lead to 7-26.

Fortunately, Egremont rallied again and scored two tries of their own either side of half time to leave the match finely balanced at 22-26.

Cockermouth thought they had clinched the game with a try which extended their lead to 22-31 but, not to be outdone, Egremont then scored their fifth try to edge within striking distance of an unlikely lead at 29-31.

The gripping game was finally decided right on the whistle when Cockermouth drove over from close range to take the honours by 29-38.

In the second team game Egremont were delighted, and mightily relieved, to get their season finally up and running with a full squad of eighteen players turning out against Wigton.

The visitors took early control of the match with a particularly strong showing in the lineout and at the breakdown.

This led to two first half tries for Wigton, who led 0-12 at the break, but this spurred Egremont into action and they soon added a try of their own following one of their best passages of play of the game.

Wigton were not to be denied however, and scored two further tries in this absorbing match to run out 5-24 winners.