The day our Rangers stormed off with the National BARLA Cup

Ailsa Cowen looks back on a summer of sporting success, culminating in Egremont Rangers winning the BARLA Cup

WITHIN the first few minutes of the memorable game in May, Sharlston broke through and thought they had scored the first try.

grand final 260Sharlston centre, Adam Grant, put the ball over the line, but was disallowed after the referee penalized them – giving Egremont a lucky escape. Egremont’s first break was made by winger Jack Stainton, after an interception on Egremont’s line, only to be tackled by Sharlston’s Micky Hoyle.

Stainton’s break thrilled the excitable, chanting Egremont fans on the side line, accompanied by the Mont’s drum. After tackling hard, Egremont’s scrum half, Paul Corkhill, slipped the ball out whilst being tackled to second rower, Peter Bewsher, to smash over the line and give Egremont their first try after 13 minutes.

The conversion was given after centre Ross Brookes’ kick powered between the sticks. Egremont were next to score after a 40/20 given by Corkhill which gave Egremont the position for stand-off, James McDonald, and Peter Bewsher to direct captain, Rhys Davies, to score.

Egremont were proving to be the tougher side and were looking like a winning team after only half an hour of play. In the 31st minute Matt Henson scored another fantastic try for Egremont and Brookes converted the goal, giving Egremont a 16-0 lead.
Sharlston began the second half impressively with a powerful break set up by Nath Smith and winger Luke Beecher which was tackled down by Egremont’s Davies and left Peter Bewsher suffering with a leg injury, resulting in him being off for the rest of the game.

Sharlston second row Johnny Waddle scored their first allowed try after five minutes of the second half. 50 minutes into the second half Sharlston scored again after substitute Jack Kirmond raced over the line. Nath Smith was proving to be troublesome and with an injured Peter Bewsher there was the sense Sharlston might take the lead. 57 minutes in Sharlston prop Lee Kelly was sin-binned after frequent high tackles.

Egremont got back in the game after 65 minutes with Rhys Davies and James McDonald putting the ball wide for loose forward Keiron Glenn to score, making the score 20-10. Egremont’s supporters continuously roared their support. Next to score was Egremont’s Paul Corkhill with second row Matthew Bewsher taking over kicking from injured Ross Brookes. Jack Stainton was next to score giving Egremont a 26-10 lead. Rovers slipped back into the game by winger Geoff Hick making the score 30-16.

Despite the Rovers best efforts, the game was won strongly by Egremont Rangers with a last-minute try by Matthew Bewsher. The supporters, coaching staff and players roared with joy when the final whistle was blew with Egremont winning 34-16.

The Man of the Match was awarded to Egremont’s Peter Bewsher. He received the Tom Keaveney MBE Wilkinson Sword due to his tenacious battling throughout the match. It was an extremely proud day for Egremont Rangers and after 25 years the cup is finally back on West Cumbrian soil.