West Cumbria Carers can help ease the worry

west-cumbria-carersIT can be a worry, wondering how you will cope with all the decisions of everyday life as you grow older.

But it needn’t make you anxious. There is a way to make things easier for you and your family. How? Make a Lasting Power of Attorney.

A Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA) is a legal document that names the people you trust to help you with your financial or health decisions, if there ever comes a time when you have difficulty making decisions alone.

If you write an LPA now, you don’t have to use it immediately.

It can be kept safe and brought out years in the future, when you need it.

Meanwhile, you can rest easy, knowing that you will remain in control in the future, because of the decisions you have made today.

Making an LPA is a relatively low cost option too, because you pay at today’s prices.

It costs £110 to register an LPA to make it legal.

If you are confident with the internet and official form-filling, you can download and complete the forms yourself from the website of the Office of the Public Guardian www.gov.uk/government/organisations/office-of-the-public-guardian

But if you would feel happier having some support, West Cumbria Carers can help you to write and register an LPA and for this we charge a nominal fee.

If you do not have an LPA in place and you lose the capacity to make decisions through accident, illness, disability or age, your carers would need to apply to be made your Deputies by the Court of Protection.

This costs in the region of £1000, is complicated and takes time. In the meantime your carers might have to pay for your expenses from their own funds.

West Cumbria Carers can also help if you are in this unfortunate position by supporting a Court of Protection application.

But we’d rather help keep things easy for you with a Lasting Power of Attorney.

Give us a ring on 01900 821976 or email lpa@westcumbricarers.co.uk for more information, or visit www.westcumbriacarers.co.uk to see what else we can do for you.